You have done enough research and now you have made the decision ! Congratulations – it is the first step ! Now questions flood your mind : How do I start my home education ? What do I do ? Where do I begin homeschooling ? What are the basics ? What do I do tomorrow ? On this page read through the first 10 survival steps you can take for a smoother journey ahead. More detail will develop as you will be doing more research and implementing the the 7step process to improve your homeschool
The 10 steps are :
1. Relax !
2. Continue your homelife as normal, or if it wasn’t normal try and establish healthy routines such as regular mealtimes, home cleaning and laundry times, bathtimes and family together times.
3. Organise your home by making spaces, places and times available for homeschooling (this may take a while – days, weeks or even months).
4. Declutter your home – now is the time to throw away and clean up your house together with your children if they are old enough to help.
5. Do not yet buy any curriculum or stuff that you haven’t yet thought through.
6. Invest in some good quality books or ‘stuff’ for your child(ren) on whatever is their interest.
7. Allow and encourage productive free time as much as possible.
8. Have reading times with the children – together, scheduled or unplanned, read aloud and silent. Read anything
your family value.
10. Have planning and thinking times – during this time study the 7step process for Improvement and do the 7steps homework.
(for help in organisation and declutter get this book below)
(rather have a look at what someone else is doing, eg. in the book below I share my Personal Eclectic curriculum)
(work through the 7-Step process in the book below)
Learn the new vocabulary of the homeschool world, so that you are not completely lost when reading about homeschooling...