Doing It My Way
Our Family's Example
Eclectic homeschooling is defined as compiling or writing your own
home school curriculum,
by taking the best of different approaches and
to suit your family’s individual needs.
Some background on how my
eclectic homeschooling developed:
- When my oldest was ‘school age’ I bought a curriculum for a few subjects.
- On the very first day of studying the Teacher
manual I threw it away, since it didn’t make any sense (too many
subjects per day with no logic to the rhythm). It was just too
difficult to use (too much paper used for too little info.)
- On the second day I threw away one subject’s complete workbook since the quality of information was so low – and it
contained facts that I did not want my child to know at that age.
- Within a week I realized that the books I had
ordered is just somebody else’s decision on what a child of a
certain age should know – it did not reflect what I thought my
child should know.
- Within a month I realized that if somebody
else can make a decision on books, I can make my own decision and just
order the books somewhere else (for much less cost).
- Within the first quarter, I knew that buying
another curriculum is not going to answer my needs or support what I
wanted for our children’s education.
- Therefore within the first year, I realized I can and I did write my own curriculum for the following year.
- Within that same year I realized I have actually been
‘homeschooling’ since the day my child was born. I just needed to
continue with it, improving along the way.
- For the past 20 years I have been homeschooling the eclectic way year by year and still doing it my own way...with great success.
- As my experience developed, my confidence in what to use and what
not to use has improved and for the past 20 years it has been a process
of improvement year by year.
With a growing vision of where we want to
end up, the curriculum is
adapted as we go along.
It is not as difficult as you think – you are
your child’s best educator – you just need to BELIEVE it!
On the following pages I briefly explain what we as a family did with every step of following the 7 Step process for homeschool improvement.
For a complete description and more detail on how we as a family are doing this homeschool thing...
For more information on the steps as we did it just click on the link:
Step1 Vision personal
Step2 Approaches personal
Step3 Course of study personal
Step4 Curriculum personal
Step5 Plan and do personal
Step6 Measure and reward personal
Step7 Adapt to improve personal
Back to Homeschooling Curriculum Guide Home Page